Monday, January 23, 2023

Through darkness into a new light

 Homily: 3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time – Cycle A

         Ten years ago, I had just completed my first six months as a priest.  My pastor, Father Mike, thought it would be a good idea for me to return to Guatemala (where I first studied Spanish) in order to assess how I was doing in Spanish and to take some lessons that could improve my Spanish.  I loved my time in Guatemala when I first visited and so, needless to say, I enthusiastically supported this idea!

         As I arrived in Guatemala, I was feeling good about how I was doing in Spanish.  I knew that I was still stumbling over a lot of words and in using the correct conjugations, but I thought that I had improved a lot and I was confident that this trip would help me move to the next level.  The first days that I spent with my teacher, however, revealed something different.

         In those first days, I spoke confidently with my teacher.  Quickly, though, I became frustrated, as it seemed like she was correcting almost every sentence I tried to say!  By the end of the second day, I was so frustrated that I stopped and said to her, “What language have I been speaking? Obviously, it wasn’t Spanish!”  She calmly assured me that it was Spanish that I was trying to speak, but that, in my effort to communicate without a strong capacity in the language, I had developed some habits of speaking that were incorrect.  She assured me that she could help correct these habits over these next days.

         By the time that I left Guatemala I was still frustrated and way less confident in my ability to speak Spanish.  My teacher had made me very self-conscious about how I was speaking and so, after I returned to the parish, I found myself very hesitant to speak in Spanish.  I felt dejected and for months following, aware of all the ways I had been speaking incorrectly, I kept running into my bad habits, instead of finding the correct new habits.  This was a huge setback for me and I wasn’t sure I could recover.

         Finally, around the beginning of Lent that year, something broke through.  Without any particular change in my behavior, something “switched” in my brain and I started using more of the correct words and conjugations, instead of running into the barriers of my bad habits.  It was like a new light started to shine in the darkness that unlocked my capacity to engage in pastoral ministry in a more effective way.  I’m still far from perfect, and some of my bad habits have likely crept back in, but I haven’t felt unsure of my capability to correct myself since that breakthrough occurred.

         I think that if any of us reflects on our lives, we will each find situations in which we encountered some adversity that threatened our achievement or prosperity, and which caused us to feel dejected or rejected in some way.  A repair or renovation in your house that you thought you could do yourself that you ended up calling a professional to finish.  A promotion at work that you were sure you had earned, only to see it go to someone else.  A test for which you thought you were prepared that you ended up failing.  Perhaps what we also found, however, is that through humility and an acceptance of our limitations we were able to unlock new levels of confidence and ability that made us more resilient to future encounters with adversity, as if a new light was shining into our lives.

         In today’s first reading, we heard the prophecy of Isaiah that a land that, at one time, appeared to be rejected by God (the lands of Zebulun and Naphtali), would now become favored by him.  Isaiah describes this change in the beautifully poetic words that we remember from our celebration of Christmas: “The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shone.”  Of course, in the context of our Mass today, Isaiah is anticipating the coming of Christ to those same lands—the area of Galilee that we know so well from the Gospels—where he manifested himself as the long-awaited Messiah, bringing a great light to those people and to people of all time.  Nevertheless, we can also see how God is showing us how he teaches us: that he will often allow us to suffer some sort of rejection in order to teach us humility and perseverance, but then unlocks new opportunities for us that we couldn’t have realized had we not first grown in resilience due to the adversity.  In other words, God permits us to experience the darkness of adversity so that we might experience greater joy and confidence when his light breaks through that darkness to unlock new opportunities for us.

         Reflecting on today’s Gospel, I wonder if Jesus “withdrew” to the land of Galilee because he felt dejected by the arrest of John the Baptist.  I wonder, then, if he hadn’t withdrawn, would he have chosen Peter and Andrew, James and John, or would he have chosen others?  We certainly can’t know for sure, but that moment of adversity certainly moved Jesus in a new direction that unlocked for him (and for his first disciples) new opportunities that he might not have had.

         Perhaps we have no better example for us than what we celebrate this weekend in our nation.  For the past 49 years, men and women of good will have marched in Washington D.C. to protest the legal protection of abortion in this country.  Throughout these years, most of us felt that the darkness of abortion would never leave us.  Nonetheless, we persevered in faith and humility and last year a great light shone into our darkness: the absolute protection of abortion in this country was eliminated!  From this light, new confidence and capacity has been unlocked in us to do more and more to protect the lives of unborn children and to help their mothers.  Without that time of darkness, I’m not sure if we’d be ready to do all that is needed today.

         My brothers and sisters, these readings and what they reveal to us are a sign to us of the great richness of the Word of God.  As we reflect this weekend on this great richness, let us give thanks to God that he has made himself both knowable and known.  Let us also give him thanks for the adversities that we have experienced (and, perhaps, we are experiencing now) and for the new light that he has brought into (or is bringing into) our lives through them.  Finally, having seen how, throughout history, he has brought his faithful people through each adversity into his glory, let us commit ourselves to trust God and to walk faithfully with him each day as he leads us through this darkness into the fullness of his light: the kingdom of heaven which, even now, is here, present among us.

Given in English and Spanish at Saint Paul Parish: Marion, IN

January 21st, 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment