Sunday, March 7, 2021

The Commandments guide our freedom

 Homily: 3rd Sunday in Lent – Cycle B

Friends, as we continue this pilgrimage of Lent, today we are presented with the Ten Commandments.  Whether we can recite all ten of them from memory, all of us know how important these commandments are.  I would like to say a few things about the commandments themselves, but then I will try to put them into the greater context of our lives as Christians and, finally, I will try to connect how the commandments connect us to the actions of Jesus in the Temple, which were recounted for us in the Gospel reading.

Okay, about the Ten Commandments.  First, I think it important to note that the first three of the ten commandments are given a disproportionate amount of text in the reading compared to the other seven.  These three refer, of course, to our relationship with God.  This evidence alone ought to invite us to stop and consider that these three might be significantly more important than the other seven, right?  If so, then we should also recognize immediately the meaning of this: that our right relationship with God is the most important thing for us to get right in our lives.  It’s like laying the foundation for a house: if we don’t get that right, then the house is doomed to fall.  Therefore, we have to take these first three commandments very seriously!

These first three are ordered to each other, of course.  It is God and God alone who has saved us and so we owe all of our worship and loyalty to Him and Him alone.  We cannot do this completely if we do not respect the use of His name nor maintain a Sabbath day in which we rest from our daily work so as to rightly honor and worship Him.  In order to verify whether our right relationship with God is first in our lives, we can ask ourselves these two questions: “Am I cautious in my speech so that I don’t use God’s name too casually?” and “Do I take time off each week from my daily chores and duties to rest and to renew my relationship with God?”  If my answer to either or both of these is “no”, then perhaps I don’t honor God as I should and, therefore, should strive to correct these failings, because any work that I do to try to correct other failings will fall short because this foundation is not yet firm.  Does this make sense?

Second, I find it very interesting that the first of the commandments that addresses our relationship to one another is directed to our relationship with our parents.  This means that, next to God, our most important relationship is with our parents.  In other words, right ordering of our world begins with our right relationship with God, then with our right relationship with our parents, then our right relationship with others.  Some of us, perhaps, have had very difficult relationships with our parents.  Nevertheless, in whatever way that we are able, we must strive to form a relationship of respect and honor with them if we hope that the world around us will be rightly ordered.

The other commandments I won’t go through, but hopefully you are seeing now how the Ten Commandments are not just rules that we have to follow while we go about doing whatever else it is that we do in our lives.  Rather, they are the foundation blocks and the boundary markers by which we can order our lives rightly—that is, according to the order God has planned for them—so that we can stay in God’s good grace and, therefore, avoid hell: both in this world and the next.

Notice that these rules allow for a lot of freedom, right?  The Ten Commandments don’t say things like, “You shall only buy blue cars” or, better yet, “You shall not buy any car at all”.  No, they are guidelines for right relationship with God and others that can help us tune our freedom to its proper use.  For example, “You shall not kill…”  This, of course, means that when I think to myself, “Ugh, I want to kill him right now!” I don’t actually do it, since I know the commandment.  Nevertheless, it should also mean that, when I am tempted to speak poorly about another person, I also stop myself from doing that: recognizing that “killing” a person’s good reputation is on the spectrum of things prohibited by the commandment, “You shall not kill”.  The commandment helps me to order the use of my freedom rightly so that greater harmony among me and my neighbors can be achieved.  Does this make sense?  I hope so.

Okay, so what does this have to do with Jesus and the “cleansing of the Temple”?  When Jesus came into the Temple and saw all of the business that was taking place in the outer courtyards of the Temple—business, by the way, that was legitimate for those coming to make offerings to God in the Temple—he saw a distortion of the Temple’s real purpose.  The purpose of the Temple was to be the place where God and the people met; and the sacrifices and offerings made in the Temple were the ways that God’s people could maintain their right relationship with Him: sacrifices of atonement for sins and offerings of thanksgiving for blessings received.  What Jesus saw, however, was that the Temple had been turned into a business itself; and that the offerings that the people were making had become transactions: paying off debts and paying for future benefits.  By upsetting the business of the Temple, Jesus called the people to remember that the Temple was for ordering our relationship with God, who loves us as sons and daughters, not for cold transactions in order to appease God and stay in his good favor.  The latter (appeasing God and staying in his good favor) is a consequence of the former (right relationship with Him), but the people of that time had made appeasing God the primary focus.

Friends, this is one of the purposes for Lent: a season in which we examine our lives to see if our relationship with God and with others is truly rightly ordered, so that, if it isn’t, we can make changes so as to order our lives rightly.  For example, perhaps I have been faithful in coming to Mass, but I find that, like the Temple in the time of Jesus, I am participating in Mass as if it is a cold transaction with God: “I give you this, so that you’ll give me that”.  The challenge for me then is to be more intentional about how I participate in Mass.  Can I prepare better to encounter God in the Mass and to allow myself to be encountered by Him?  Maybe I find that I have been gossiping about others, hurting another’s good reputation.  The challenge for me then is first to stop gossiping and then to try and restore the good name of the person who I’ve hurt.  Maybe I have not been as attentive to my parents as I could be.  The challenge for me then is to identify the things that I need to sacrifice in order to be more attentive to my parents.  In every case, I am allowing the Ten Commandments to guide how I order my freedom so as to choose the things that will strengthen my relationship with God and with others and to identify the things from which I must repent and ask forgiveness so as to be reconciled with God and others.

Friends, this is hard work, no doubt.  It is also work that extends beyond Lent.  Nevertheless, let us take this graced time that is before us to recommit ourselves to this good work: cleansing God’s Church of all selfishness and disharmony by cleansing ourselves from these things.  In doing so, we will find a greater joy when we celebrate the resurrection of Christ at Easter.  May the grace of this Eucharist and the intercession of Mary and all the saints strengthen us in this good work.

Given at Saint Patrick Parish: Kokomo, IN – March 7th, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment