Sunday, May 11, 2014

Every sheep needs a shepherd

Homily: 4th Sunday of Easter – Cycle A
          In January of 2012, I had the happy opportunity to spend about two and a half weeks in Rome with my classmates from the seminary.  It was a mini-“study abroad” trip as we studied a mixture of art, church history, world history, and theology through the visits we made throughout Rome and the surrounding areas.  At the end of the trip, all of my classmates and I were going to make our “canonical retreat”: which is a retreat required by Canon Law before being ordained to the priesthood.  While all of my classmates returned back to the United States to do this, I decided to stay in Italy to make mine (I mean, I was already there, so why not, right?)
          I decided to make my retreat at a Benedictine monastery in Norcia, Italy.  Norcia is the birthplace of Saint Benedict and this monastery had been re-established there in the year 2000 by a monk from Saint Meinrad Archabbey right here in Indiana.  Norcia is an ancient ancient town nestled among the Perugian Mountains about an hour and a half northeast of Rome.  The old city is still surrounded by the wall that served to protect it from invaders in times past.  Now, of course, the village’s inhabitants have spread out around the old city.  Nonetheless, it still holds all of its “old city” charm.
          Everyday I’d take time to go for a hike in the surrounding village.  This was, in part, because I had time to do it and I enjoy seeing the “snapshot” of village life that you get by making such walks.  But it was also because the monastery guest rooms had heat only for about two hours each day—one in the morning and the other in the evening—and I needed to get my blood pumping so that I wouldn’t freeze to death!
          On my way back from one of these afternoon walks, I encountered a flock of sheep being led down one of the side streets of the village.  Having grown up in what, essentially, is a suburb of Chicago, I was a little surprised to see a flock of animals being led through the streets of town.  I got about as close as I dared so as to watch them pass.  As I did, one or two of the sheep would pause for a second to take a look at me.  But as soon as they did, I heard the shepherd yell something (perhaps it was Italian, perhaps it was just nonsense), and the sheep immediately turned back to the flock and continued on their way.  It struck me that they knew the voice of their shepherd.  This, of course, stayed with me throughout the rest of my retreat.  I mean, I was making a retreat in preparation of being ordained a priest of Jesus Christ—that is, a shepherd after the heart of Jesus—so I didn’t chalk it up to “coincidence” that I encountered the shepherd and his flock that day.
          Whether the shepherd was leading the flock out to pasture or leading them back to their pen, I don’t know.  What was clear to me, however, was that the sheep needed a shepherd to get them where they were going.  If they were going out to pasture, then they would need someone to watch over them so they wouldn’t get in trouble.  If they were going home, they would need someone to open the gate for them.  I think that if we take just a moment to think about this, we would realize that we, too, need a shepherd.
          In our Gospel reading today, Jesus gives us two allegories (which are stories in which the characters and events illustrate and explain a greater, more abstract idea).  These allegories are meant to help us understand more clearly what Jesus means when he says “I am the Good Shepherd”.  In the first, we see Jesus as the shepherd who leads the flock to the safety of their home.  The gatekeeper (which is an image of God the Father in this case) opens the gate (which is an image of the gate of heaven) for the shepherd, because he recognizes the one who has been entrusted with the care of his sheep.  In the second allegory, Jesus describes himself as the gate, that is, the means through which the sheep enter the safety of their home (which is heaven) and by which thieves and robbers are kept out.  In both, the lesson that we are to learn is that we need Jesus if we want to get to heaven.
          Peter, of course, understood this.  On the day of Pentecost, when he gave his impassioned speech to the Jews gathered for the feast, he preached that those who felt convicted because of having consented to Jesus’ murder should repent—that is, “turn around”—from their sin and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, for it was only though him that they would receive forgiveness of their sins.  Later, he also taught that the way that his disciples remain close to Jesus (like sheep remain close to their shepherd) is to conform themselves to him in every way.  Thus Peter can say that “if you are patient when you suffer for doing what is good, this is a grace from God… because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example that you should follow in his footsteps”, like sheep follow the footsteps of their shepherd.
          Mary, whom we honor in a special way this month, also knew this.  Sinless from the moment of her conception, she never thought that it was because of any merit of her own.  Rather, from the moment of her fiat, her “yes” to the angel, she knew (instinctually, if not explicitly) that it was God’s mercy, mysteriously merited for her by her son, Jesus, even before he was born, that had won this grace for her.  Thus, she was and remains the first and most perfect disciple of her Son, through whom she now fully enjoys the glory of heaven.
          My brothers and sisters, if Peter, the rock on which Jesus would build his Church, and Mary, the Immaculate One, both knew that they needed Jesus to find salvation and everlasting glory, then it must be true that we need him, too!  Any other attempt to enter the sheepfold without him will get us labeled as thieves and robbers and will result in our immediate and permanent expulsion from it.  Only the shepherd can get us in and only through the gate can we enter. 
          Therefore, let us follow him, our Good Shepherd, by conforming our lives to him, who suffered for doing good.  And let us believe in him, in whose name we have been baptized, for he will help us to turn away from this corrupt generation and turn towards the incorruptibility of the glory of heaven, where Mary and all of the saints and angels wait to welcome us; and where Jesus will lead us out into the green pastures of eternal salvation.

Given at All Saints Parish: Logansport, IN – May 10th & 11th, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment