Sunday, September 22, 2019

Engage the world and build the kingdom


Homily: 25th Sunday in Ordinary Time – Cycle C
Just about halfway through my time in seminary, when I was in my first year of theology studies, our annual retreat was to be a silent one at a retreat house run by the Ursaline Sisters near Owensboro, Kentucky.  Their house was outside of the city, right next to a farm.  It was early spring and so cool temperatures were still the norm.  Nonetheless, I made it a point to get outside each day and walk.  I was struggling with my vocation at that point and spent a lot of time on that retreat praying about whether or not this was really the vocation to which God was calling me.  Part of the farm was cow pasture and I remember sitting and watching the cows near the end of the day one day and thinking that this stressful life of preparing for a stressful life of ministry was for the birds; and I longed for a more simple life—like one I imagine I could find on a farm—in which my work would be clear and I could put in an honest day of work, every day, and return home to peace and tranquility.
I became somewhat convicted by this idea and so decided to speak about it to my spiritual director for the retreat.  He was one of the monks from Saint Meinrad, Fr. Guerric.  Fr. Guerric is originally from the East Coast (New York or New Jersey, I can’t remember) and his accent shows it.  He also has a great “East Coast” way of telling you what he thinks: which means, straight in your face.  Thus, when I revealed to him that I was becoming more and more convinced that a life of ministry wasn’t my call, but rather a life of simple labor and quiet simplicity, his response was... how should I say it... direct.  “Oh, get over yourself, Dominic! That is not what God has called you to do”, was his response.  He could see right through my over-romantic notion: primarily because it involved giving up on the world; and he knew that a true vocation is never one that leads someone to give up on the world, but rather one that leads someone to give him/herself more fully for the world.  My frustration with dealing with the world, therefore, was no sign that I was wrong about my vocation; but rather a good sign that I was on the right path. (“Spoiler alert”: I think that you all know the rest of this story, because here I am today...)
In our Gospel reading today, Jesus presents a somewhat troubling parable.  There a household steward (today we might call this person a “personal asset manager”) is about to be fired for not doing his job well.  This causes him great consternation, of course, since he realizes that he’s about to lose his livelihood and be out on his rear end.  He knows that manual labor is not for him and so he devises a plan: “I’ll garner favors with my master’s debtors so that one of them will take me in once I’m homeless and so I won’t have to resort to manual labor.”  Two great ironies emerge: 1) the bad steward suddenly shows talent and the ability to work an advantageous deal as soon as his meal ticket is on the line, and 2) the master, who is getting ready to fire him, actually commends him for these “slick moves”.  In both, Jesus seems to be presenting this in such a way as to show this steward in a favorable light.  Our minds kind of automatically rebel against the idea of commending someone who is dishonest, however, so it begs the question: what is the point?
The point, it seems, that Jesus is trying to make to his disciples is that they must learn to be shrewd in their dealings with the world.  Jesus knew that his disciples would be sent out to proclaim this Gospel message in the everyday life of society; and that, if they weren’t shrewd in dealing with the world, then they would be ineffective and, thus, fail in their mission (for even those who are dishonest show themselves to be shrewd in dealing with the world… as the dishonest steward was).  In fact, in the early centuries of the Church, sects called “gnostics” promoted that the goal of life was “mental enlightenment”, after which one no longer really needed to deal with the world: because, through enlightenment, they would be living on a “higher” plane.  Jesus’ teaching squarely contradicts this, however, when he says, “Make friends for yourselves with dishonest wealth”, meaning, “Deal shrewdly with this world and its riches”.  In other words, it’s as if Jesus is saying, “I am not calling you to remove yourselves from the world, but rather to go out into it—dealing with it prudently, of course, yet nonetheless dealing with it—so as to bring this message of salvation to all peoples.”
Friends, we have to remember that Christianity is a religion: which means that, in part, it is a way of living in and interacting with the world.  This as opposed to a cult: which typically demands that people separate themselves from the world and from interacting with it.  Because of this, we need to heed Jesus’ words and not try to pull back from the world (like I tried to do during that retreat, ten years ago), but rather to engage the world and deal shrewdly with it.  This is what I feel like the Uniting In Heart 2030 Pastoral Plan does for us: as a diocese, it provides us with a roadmap of how to be more shrewd in how our parishes live in and interact with the world, which will allow us to be more effective in fulfilling our mission to proclaim the Good News of eternal life through Jesus.
My brothers and sisters, Jesus, the Master, is calling us to be good stewards of his household, the Church.  The parable of the dishonest steward is a warning and a challenge: a warning not to get lazy in our stewardship and risk losing our position all together, and a challenge, thus, to deal shrewdly in the world, while we are in it, so as to build up the Church and prepare for our Master’s coming (and for the accounting to which he will call us when he comes).  Uniting In Heart 2030 is a chance for us to renew and strengthen our stewardship of God’s household; and so I hope that you will all join me in committing yourself to doing what will be necessary to see it come to fruition for Christ and his Church.
It is true what Saint Paul said in his letter to Timothy, that “God wills everyone to be saved and to come to knowledge of the truth.”  Therefore, strengthened by this Eucharist, let us take up this good work so that more and more men and women can come to know Christ and his salvation; and that we, too, can be well prepared to enter the “eternal dwellings” that Christ, our Savior, has prepared for us.
Given at Saint Mary’s Parish: Lafayette, IN – September 22nd, 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment