Saturday, June 11, 2011

The first week after "the change"

Greetings and thank you to all of you who have prayed so fervantly for me. I meant to post something earlier this week, but simply did not have the time to. As it turns out my first week as a deacon has been a pretty busy one.
After preaching my first homily on Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning, I saw my family off as they returned to Illinois. Upon arriving in Anderson, I was greeted by Fr. Bob who promptly informed me that I had a funeral on Wednesday. Fr. Bob, you see, was leaving for the annual priest convocation on Monday and so as it turns out, I was the "pastor" of the Anderson parishes for the week!
I had already been informed that I would preside at the 6th grade graduation at St. Ambrose that Monday, so I had to prepare a homily for that. I had two communion services scheduled and now this funeral (obviously, for each, I would need a homily). I also found myself making all of the hospital visits. Needless to say, I quickly found out why being the pastor keeps one quite busy.
Some folks have asked me what it feels like to be a deacon and all that I can tell them is, "normal." I've been preparing for this for years and so aside from my change in responsibilities/capabilities I really don't feel a whole lot different. But I think that is really good because I think that means that "putting on" the clerical state, well, just fits.
This weekend we have celebrated the ordination of four men from our diocese. I've been with these men for five years and it is such a joy to see them ordained to the priesthood. As I was kneeling by the altar during the Eucharistic Prayer at the Ordination Mass, I was moved as I heard these four men reciting the words of institution for the first time. They are living signs that God wants the Eucharist and all the other sacraments to continue for some time to come. What a great day for the Church and for us all.
After completing the circuit of First Masses of Thanksgiving for the four newly ordained priests, I will be joining a group of young people from St. Mary's in Anderson for a Catholic Heart Work Camp in Toledo, OH. Please pray for our safety and that this experience will lead us to a deeper and more profound experience of God. I'll post again after my return!
Blessed Pier Giorgio Frassati, pray for us! Verso l'alto!

1 comment:

  1. blogger won't let me post this on your entry with your Corpus Christi homily but i just wanted to say....post more homilies please!!! :)

    ReplyDelete