Sunday, January 26, 2020

God stands by his Word.


Homily: 3rd Sunday in Ordinary Time – Cycle A
          Friends, if you heard or read my homily from last weekend, you’ll know that jumping back into Ordinary Time has always proven difficult for me.  This is because Ordinary Time always askes us to take a hard look at our discipleship and to work on making continuous improvements to it.  In other seasons—you know, Advent/Christmas and Lent/Easter—the things that we are called to focus on are spelled out for us and so it makes entering into that time a little easier.  In Ordinary Time we have to be more “self-starting”, so to speak, which is harder: thus, why I don’t like it as much.
          You’ll remember that I also said that, this year, I have decided to make this Ordinary Time different: that is, that I was going to strive to be intentional about engaging this time and seek some specific ways that I can grow and improve in my discipleship and that I was going to try and let our liturgy lead me.  Specifically, I am going to pay attention to the message that comes to us through the scriptures we read at Mass and allow them to propose one thing for me to work on each week.  Last week, I focused in on John the Baptist’s prophetic proclamation: “Behold, the Lamb of God…”  I decided to do a better job of “beholding” Jesus throughout the week.  The task was easy enough to remember (I just had to remember the word, “behold”), but the work was hard.  Nonetheless, I felt that I was, indeed, more intentional about “beholding” Jesus when I read the scriptures in my morning prayer time, during Eucharistic Adoration this past Wednesday evening, and in the people with whom I interacted throughout the week.  And it was good!  It wasn’t perfect, but it was a good start and I intend to continue even as I look this week to the “one thing” that our liturgy reveals to me.
          This week, the “thing” that the liturgy is revealing has been handed to us on a platter, of sorts.  That’s because this Sunday is the first “Sunday of the Word of God”, which Pope Francis inaugurated last year.  The Holy Father has called for this special celebration in order to enshrine a celebration which commemorates the unbreakable bond between sacred Scripture and the Eucharist.  In calling for this celebration, Pope Francis hopes to inspire all of us to know our Lord better through our prayerful reading and study of sacred Scripture.  Last week, when speaking of beholding Jesus in the Scriptures, I said that one of my seminary professors always reminded us that “an encounter with the Scriptures is an encounter with Christ” and so I’m grateful for this celebration which reinforces that notion and calls us all to seek our Lord Jesus in the word of God, preserved for us in these Scriptures.
          Before I go any further, I’d like to point out that one of the things that celebrating this Sunday as the Word of God Sunday highlights about us is that the Catholic Church is truly a “Bible Church”.  If you talk to other non-Catholic Christians, many will ask, “Is your church a ‘bible church’?”, meaning, “Do they believe in the Bible as the sacred word of God and as authoritative?”  As Catholics, we better all (that is, each one of us) and always say, “YES!  The Catholic Church is a Bible Church.  In fact, it is THE BIBLE CHURCH, since without the Catholic Church, there would be no Bible!”  In fact, the very fabric of the Mass that we celebrate is the Holy Word of God.  Don’t believe me?  Read Scott Hahn’s book, The Lamb’s Supper, and he’ll show you just how deep of a foundation sacred Scripture is for the Mass.  In celebrating this Sunday as “Word of God Sunday” we are boldly proclaiming to the world that we hold in veneration the Holy Word of God as God’s authoritative word to us.
          Nonetheless, I think that there is still a more particular message for us in today’s readings that can be the thing that guides our work as disciples this week, and it is this: the Word of God is both the record of God’s promises to us and the evidence of their fulfillment.  In our first reading today, we heard from the prophet Isaiah, who is speaking to the people of the northern kingdoms of the tribes of Israel—those who had been exiled after being conquered by the Assyrians—and he is promising them that the Lord, who allowed them to fall into this suffering because of their sins, will now return to redeem them from their suffering.  And they did return.  Unfortunately, however, they would once again fall into exile under the Babylonians, highlighting that the redemption the Lord had worked for them was partial: that is, that it wasn’t the full redemption of mankind that God had promised from the Garden of Eden, but rather the partial redemption that brought them back from exile to their homeland so that they might begin again.
          Nevertheless, Saint Matthew, the evangelist, references this prophecy from Isaiah when he describes the beginning of Jesus’ public ministry in our Gospel reading today so as to indicate that what had been partially redeemed before was now about to find its fulfillment in Jesus.  Jesus, himself, perhaps never said that he left Nazareth to live in Capernaum when he began his public ministry so as to fulfill what had been said through Isaiah the prophet, but Matthew nonetheless saw that move as intentional and, through the guidance of the Holy Spirit, interpreted it as such.  And this was Jesus’ way, right?  He never said, “Look at me, I’m the Messiah, come and worship me!”  Rather, he preached the kingdom and performed the signs of the kingdom (healing, driving out demons, etc.) and then said, “Look at the works I do.  If you know the Scriptures, you’ll know what that means about who I am.  If you believe, come follow me.”
          This “M.O.” of Jesus is exactly why we need to take for our work this week a deeper reading and study of the sacred Scriptures.  In order to see the events that happen in our lives and understand how it is God who is both speaking to us through them and, more importantly, fulfilling his promises to us, we need to be immersed in study of those ancient promises and of how they were fulfilled in Christ.  Still further, we need to see in the Scriptures how that fulfillment was entrusted to the Church so as to make it living and present to every succeeding generation.  It’s pretty rare that God himself will announce, “See this is how I’m fulfilling my promises right now.”  Most common, rather, is for God to work, using his familiar signs, but without much fanfare, and our job is to recognize those signs and then to respond in kind.  Reading and studying the Scriptures is a primary way that we prepare to do that.
          Therefore, my friends, as we celebrate the Word of God this weekend, and as we offer this sacrifice of thanksgiving to God for it, let us make a modest, yet firm commitment to engage God’s Word in the sacred Scriptures daily: allowing us to “behold” Jesus for a time while also reminding us of God’s promises and of Jesus, who has brought all of those promises to fulfillment: the fullest evidence of which will soon be made present to us on this altar.
Given at Saint Mary’s Cathedral: Lafayette, IN – January 25th & 26th, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment